Rome’s opera house, the Teatro dell’Opera di Roma, is a 19th-century theater in the city center and the Italian capital’s main opera house.
The original theater opened in 1880 with the name Teatro Costanzi. It was later renamed the Teatro Reale dell’Opera and underwent some minor structural changes in the 1920s, and renamed again in 1946 as the Teatro dell’Opera. The theater was largely remodeled in the late 1950s to the structure that stands today.
The theater has five tiers of seating in a semicircle around the floor seating and facing the stage. Three of the tiers have theater boxes, while the uppermost two tiers have several graduated rows of seating. Like many great theaters, it is bedecked in red velvet and accented with gold. The current seating capacity is 1,600 people.
The theater hosts opera performances as well as ballet and other concerts. The seasons for each vary, as do ticket prices for various shows. There are tours of the opera house available, however, on Mondays from 10:00am-2:00pm.
During the summer months, the opera company performs outdoors at the Baths of Caracalla rather than inside the Teatro dell’Opera.