With its stark white tower perched atop the sea-cliffs of Cape Armenistis, and views stretching out over the ocean, the remote Armenistis Lighthouse feels a world away from the lively streets of nearby Mykonos Town. A striking reminder of Mykonos’ rich maritime heritage, the lighthouse dates back to 1891 and, despite standing at just 19-meters high, makes a dramatic sight, looking out across the strait towards Tinos island.
Today, the lighthouse is no longer in use and is closed to the public, but remains an impressive landmark and a popular spot from which to watch the sunset. The lighthouse’s original 19th-century lantern has been restored and is now on display in the Aegean Maritime Museum in Mykonos Town.
Armenistis Lighthouse is located at the tip of Cape Armenistis, around 7km north of Mykonos Town. The lighthouse is not open to the public.