The oldest building in Malmo, St. Peter’s Church dates back to 1319. Built in a Gothic style with red and brown bricks, it was largely based on St. Mary’s Church in Lubeck, Germany. A 105-meter high tower was added in the 15th century, together with several chapels and the baptismal font. The simple white interior walls are embellished by an ornate altar and elaborate fixtures. The Tradesman’s Chapel is notable for its mural paintings from around 1520, which are some of the best preserved in Scandinavia; the rest of the church’s murals have been destroyed. Also worth checking out is the floor in the oldest part of the church, which is made of broke gravestones.
The church is still in active use and a project is currently underway to add a new organ by 2018 that would be the largest church organ in Scandinavia.
St. Peter’s Church, also called Sankt Petri Church, stands behind Malmo’s City Hall in the Old Town. It is a short walk from the train station; simply cross the Petribron bridge and head south on Goran Olsgatan. The church will soon be on your left.